Sunday, October 21, 2007

Encounter with Darkness

I am writing today to tell of my close encounter with darkness this past week. The sins and the darkness that exists in this world are unbelievable. When you hear of the sins that people commit and their evil actions it makes your stomach turn. There are many people of this world that are so good at painting over this sin and pain and making everything seem "ok". But the truth is we are in a fallen and dying world. Everyday we walk past people that are separated from our Father and without Him they continue to stumble around in the darkness searching for meaning and significance in this world. They must come to the light of Christ or they will wander into even deeper darkness. This is a subject that I don't like to think about for it makes me so sad to think about those that are completely lost. To know that the majority of the people in this world will never go home to our Father. So a lot of the times I don't focus on the fate of a person that is without Christ. I would rather rejoice in my salvation and the comfort of knowing I will soon be gone from this world and be with the ones I love FOREVER! It is good to focus on these blessings that we have in Christ but we also must stop and think of others that are not one with God so we might be inclined to reach out and tell them the good news that we have received.
Last week I encountered someone that was very lost in sin and darkness. I left my house on Friday morning to go pray for a little while. When I got outside a lot of my neighbors were in the street and something was up. I walked over to my next door neighbor and asked her what was going on. She pointed across the street from us to the corner where there was someone laying on the ground groaning. She said that the person was drunk. All I could see was the person legs because he was behind a car. It sounded like a man's voice and since I could only see the legs I assumed it was a man. A minute or two later the person stood up and physically it looked like a woman. She was dirty from head to toe from the dirt on the street. I thought she was sick since she had such a deep voice. The person started trying to walk and kept running into walls. I asked my neighbor if we could do anything and she said: "I don't know". So I asked if we could pray for her. And so we prayed together for the drunk person. We then followed her because she was walking towards a busy intersection and we didn't want her to get hit. I said something to my neighbor about the drunk person being a woman and she stopped and said to me "you know that is not a woman but a man". It was a transsexual man that had been changed to look exactly like a woman.
And after hearing that in the past I would have casually walked away from that situation but God gave me strength to stick around. I told my neighbor that I was going to try and ask if I could give him anything. I crossed the street and got about half-way to the man when the desire to flee hit me. I thought to myself "I need to turn back this is not safe". But then God instantly reminded me of Heb 10:39 "we are not the ones who draw back". God did not promise me comfortable life but he did promised me comfort and that is what he gave me. What do I have to fear with my Father at my side? Absolutely nothing! I stopped about three feet from the man that was a good 6'2" (without the heels). I asked him if I could get him some water or coffee. As he turned around his eyes danced back and forth and I don't think I have ever seen a soul so visibly lost. He replied with "did I call you?". He then began to walk towards me. I repeated my question again and then he said: "did someone send you to me?". I said: "I don't understand". Then with heel in hand he raised his arm to me as if to hit me and then I turned and walked away.
The poor man's life was so sin infested. In his pursuit to fill the void of God he had become this thing that was neither man nor woman. His pursuit of his desires had carried him into the darkness of sin. I have never had so much pity for a transsexual. I thought about how years ago as a child he was pure in the sight of God. What happened to the boy that caused him to become this? Sin.... that's what happened. I had never looked into the eyes of someone and seen so much confusion. I was able to see in his eyes how lost you can get when you stray of the path. That day reminded me so much of my purpose of being here. I am here to serve and love but also to fight. Not to fight the sinful people but the darkness that is pulling them down. The enemy is pure evil and darkness is his home. But we have been saved by the light and been put on lampstands to shine into the darkness. Pray for my light and that it will not dim in this battle.
The team and I will be going to Ecuador for two weeks to renew our visas and for some time to get refreshed. I love you guys and sorry if this blog wasn't so encouraging. I just wanted to share this story that really impacted me. Have a good two weeks and I miss you mucho.

4 comments:

The Morgans said...

Wow. You are getting to see the real stuff of this world, B. I am praying for you to have direction and discernment in all of the situations you will be finding yourself in! God is certainly opening your eyes. Satan is alive and well but has not won and will not. Hallelujah for that! Love you, B. Shine on,
mm

Anonymous said...

Hey Brother Brandon,

Hey little brother... just a quick note to say that I've been in prayer for you; that God may continue to use your life as a means to help others hear of HIS goodness... also to say that I love you. Thank you, again, for the awesome letter. It holds a special place of honor and importance in the Sheaffer home. God bless -- pat

AIMing in Africa said...

Hey, man.
I got a text from Amber and it said something about seeing a transexual. I thought that was completely random, but now I have a context. I had a really drunk man confess his sins to me when he found out I was a missionary from America. To me, he looked like a lost cause, but I wonder how Jesus would have seen him. I've lost my chance to do anything about it, but I think God gives us these quick glimpses of lives like theirs as a reminder of what we're supposed to be doing.
Love you, man.

Anonymous said...

Hey, #3. This was an amazing story - my heart is so full of love and pride for you (and for my #1, his post & comment is pretty touching too). I love you, just because; I am proud of you, for swallowing your fear and reaching out to someone who most of us would be repulsed by. That's what Jesus would do. Thank you for sharing this experience with us - I'll be praying for you as you bring Jesus - in small doses - to the people of Lima.