Saturday, September 1, 2007

A Light in Dark times


On the 23rd of August I was able to go on a relief trip to Chincha with 20 other members of the church from Lima. The picture on the left is the house where the church in Chincha had been meeting before the earthquake. Down the hall you can see where the roof has collapsed. The house now is considered structurally unsound and must be torn down. It is amazing to see first hand how God is providing for these people in such disastrous times. The Sunday before we went to Chincha the church in Lima took up a special offering for the church in Chincha. We then bought food and supplies and loaded four cars for three hour trip. When we arrived early that afternoon it was really hard to look around and see the kids on the streets that didn't have homes to go to anymore. A lot of random kids came up to the car and were asking for food so we gave them bread and some Coca-Cola. I was so blessed to be there and witness smiles appear on their faces. After passing out all the food we gathered up all the kids and played a friendly game of soccer in the street. It was the craziest game of soccer I have ever played. We were in the middle of the road with four rocks as goals and about 30 people playing in area about the size of a tennis court. There was approximately 300 minor aftershocks in Chincha after the main earthquake. So it is really hard for the people to relax and move on when they are constantly being reminded of the fear they had from the first earthquake. Being able to play soccer with those young guys was the best part of the trip for me because it allowed them to loosen up and have some fun. Before we left I was talking with this little kid named Piero who had been playing soccer barefoot. I told him that I had been studying Spanish for a month so he gave me a kids book in Spanish to help me learn. That was pretty special for me since I knew this kid didn't have much. When I left I told him I would want to come back soon and he said: "I will be waiting".
God has been working through the churches in the states to raise money to rebuild the church and some of the members houses. God really is doing some amazing things! All the money is raised and we will begin to rebuild the houses within the next month or two. After going to Chincha later that week I read Matthew 5. In verse 14 Jesus tells us that we are "the light of the world". Why? What is it in us that is so "bright" or "good"? Thinking more about it I realized that it has nothing to do with what I can do but understanding that it is him in me that is the "light" of this world. Without him I am in darkness and so is the world. In 5:16 it says: "let your light shine before men so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven." I am so blessed and thankful to have the opportunity to shine the light of our savior Jesus Christ in Peru. Thank you to all that made sacrifices for me to be here and to all who are battling for me in prayer.
Your brother,
Brandon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep letting your light shine and being God's light man! Love ya bro!

Anonymous said...

What I meant to say was keep letting your light shine and doing God's work, but hey its all the same... lol Peace and God bless!

AIMing in Africa said...

Hey, man. That's really awesome. I love hearing from you guys and I'm glad I got to talk to you for a while. Love you, man.
Logan

The Morgans said...

Brandon, I hope you guys are having a good week. Thank you for taking the time to post. We are all keeping up with you this way so keep on blogging! The Morgansters sure do love you!
Aunt Maggie